Council to Invest in Balloch Castle
West Dunbartonshire Council is to invest £300,000 renovating Balloch Castle so the landmark building can be preserved for future generations.
The Council has also committed to investing further funding over the next three years to ensure the 200-year-old castle is wind and water-tight once again.
The move follows a detailed condition survey on the Scottish Gothic style property, which prominently overlooks Loch Lomond and is the centre of the surrounding country park.
Parts of the roof and parapet walling will be restored first at a cost of approximately £300,000 to make the structure water-tight. The next stage of work will continue with further remedial works to high level roof structures and stone works on the exterior of the A-listed building. In the meantime officers will work with the community to consider how to make the best use of this local asset.
Formerly known as Ardoch Castle, Balloch Castle was built as a residence in 1808 by the architect Robert Lugar at the order of John Buchanan of Ardoch, a partner in the Glasgow Ship Bank who went on to become a Member for Parliament for Dunbartonshire.
This listed building is an early example of the Scottish baronial style popular in the 19th and early 20th centuries. The building's turrets and lancet windows are purely decorative.
The present castle was built around an earlier house and is reputed to have been constructed in part using stone from ruins in the grounds.